Wake schools adds additional date for assignment plan feedback
Posted September 8, 2011
Raleigh, N.C. — Wake County school system officials have added an additional date to a series of public meetings on the district's proposed student assignment plan.
Members of the Wake County Public School System's Student Assignment Task Force will meet with the community at Sanderson High School on Sept. 14 to answer questions about the draft plan and to gather community feedback.
That's in addition to the two other meetings previously scheduled at Broughton High School on Sept. 13 and East Wake High School on Sept. 15.
Superintendent Tony Tata said this week that he plans to submit a final proposal to the school board for discussion at its Oct. 4 meeting. A vote could come later next month.
The plan allows parents to choose from a variety of schools based on their address. It also takes into account achievement balance and capacity at each school.
Nearly 14,000 Wake County households participated in a test run this summer, and Tata said Tuesday that Student Assignment Task Force is still fine-tuning parts of the plan, including transportation, based on feedback from two previous meetings.
If approved, it would go into effect for the 2012-13 school year.