ND awarded $10 million from feds for DAPL protest costs
Posted August 15
BISMARCK, ND — The U.S. Department of Justice awarded North Dakota $10 million to reimburse the state for costs associated with the Dakota Access Pipeline protests, Sen. John Hoeven, R-N.D., said Tuesday, Aug. 15.
The $10 million represents only a portion of the estimated $38 million the state and Morton County have incurred from the monthslong protests. Hoeven previously said the state shouldn't expect the federal government to cover the entire bill.
Gov. Doug Burgum's request to President Donald Trump for a major disaster declaration was denied earlier this year. The state applied for $13.85 million through the DOJ's Emergency Federal Law Enforcement Assistance program in late June, and Hoeven said he'll push for additional funding.
"Ensuring the safety of everyone in the area during the protests was a tremendous undertaking for our law enforcement," Hoeven said in a statement. "Considering the protester camp was allowed to remain on federal land and the Obama administration's decision to prolong the situation and refusal to enforce the law, it only makes sense that the federal government should shoulder a share of the cost."