Local News

Families of victim, driver mourn wreck that killed 18-year-old NC Central student

Posted April 11

— As local college students mourn a classmate killed by a drunk driver, the driver's family is grasping to find a silver lining to the tragedy.

Police said Natasha Lynn Taylor, of Durham, a wife and mother, crossed the double yellow line into oncoming traffic in the 1100 block of East Geer Street Sunday night and struck a westbound car driven by 18-year-old Quillon Rendleman, of Charlotte.

Myiah Andrews, 18, of Greenville, a passenger in Rendleman's car, was killed in the wreck. Andrews was a freshman at North Carolina Central University.

19 balloons were released into the sky at a vigil for Andrews Tuesday- 18 purple ones, because she was 18 years old, and one yellow one because she was a week shy of her 19th birthday.

Friends and classmates at N.C. Central organized the event to honor her.

"I hope people remember her by her smile and the great attitude that she always carried," her friend Ashia Williamson said. "She was always energetic and things like that. She reached a lot of people."

The college freshman is from the Greenville, North Carolina area, where her grandfather, Arthur Williams, still lives.

"It was unbelievable," Williams said. "And it still doesn't seem like it's happened."

Durham Police said Taylor was driving drunk when her car struck the vehicle Andrews was in.

Taylor's husband, Allen Taylor, says she's struggled with mental health issues all her life.

"I know she feels horrible," he said. "I don't know how she's going to live with this."

Both families think the tragedy can serve a greater purpose- to help save other lives.

"If anything comes out of this at all that's positive, I want her to be able to get the help she can get while people are watching her and supervising her medications," Allen Taylor said.

"I would suggest to the public that anyone they see consuming alcohol and attempting to drive to report it," Williams said. "They potentially can save someone to have to go through what we are going through."

Taylor's husband says he's not sure exactly what she was doing, or where she was, leading up to the crash. He has not been able to talk to her since it happened.

She is being in the Durham jail under a $100,000 bond.


Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all