Local News

NC website tells stories of people affected by drunken driving

Posted December 22, 2014

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— To mark the 20th anniversary of the Booze It & Lose It anti-drunken-driving campaign, state officials have launched a website featuring stories from people whose lives have been forever changed by impaired drivers.

So far this year, 301 people in North Carolina have lost their lives in alcohol-related crashes. Through the Booze It & Lose It enforcement efforts during various holidays throughout this year, 6,084 people have been cited.

The 20 Stories for 20 Years website includes stories of a police officer who lost his parents to a drunk driver, a former motocross racer now in a wheelchair after one bad decision and an Army combat veteran who lost his legs to a drunk driver in his own front yard.

"These are real tragedies, and they can be prevented," said Mike Charbonneau, a spokesman for the North Carolina Department of Transportation. "We wanted people to hear as many stories as possible so they would take this seriously and realize, 'This could be me.'"

Charbonneau said drunken driving has decreased since the Booze It & Lose It program started in 1994, but almost 8,500 people have died in North Carolina in alcohol-related crashes during that time. While law enforcement agencies are cracking down for the holidays, he said friends and family members need to help out.

"We can't stop having that conversation. We can't stop telling these stories until there are no drunk driving accidents," he said.

DOT and the Governor's Highway Safety Program teamed up with Mothers Against Drunk Driving to put the website together.

2 Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • sinenomine Dec 22, 2014

    At about this time of year in 1968 a drunk driver on my side of the road ran into me. I was able to get far enough over to convert a head-on into a sideswipe and no one in my car was injured partly to our use of seat belts. The inebriated driver of the other car and his passenger, however, went through the windshield of his '56 Buick and then were thrown out the side of the car for good measure. It wasn't pretty. The stretch of Highway 86 where this occurred is now abandoned.

  • Whatev333 Dec 22, 2014

    Great campaign. Keep up the good work NCSHP.