Local News

NC Wanted: Mystery of Hope Mills man's disappearance lingers

Posted March 22, 2015

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— More than 10 years after a Hope Mills man disappeared, Cumberland County authorities have no leads, but friends and family continue to push the case.

Kent Jacobs was 42 when he disappeared on March 10, 2002, from a neighborhood about 2 miles from his mother's home. Relatives said he has a disability that left him with the mental capacity of a 9-year-old.

Family friend Dennis Mahon has erected a banner on the side of Camden Road that quotes a warrant investigators used to search nearby property last year. "There is probable cause to believe that a refrigerator containing the remains of Kent Jacobs is buried," the banner reads.

"I'm of the belief that he could be anywhere, but that is the No. 1 lead that needs to be taken care of right now," Mahon said.

The Cumberland County investigator heading up the case received a credible lead indicating that Jacobs' body might have been buried off Brooklyn Circle. Forensic archaeologists then used high-tech scanners to search for items buried on a wooded lot, but they found no sign of Jacobs or a refrigerator.

"If I have closure for Kent, then at least I'll know where he is and I can put him to rest," said Marth Jacobs, Kent's mother. "Each and every day I think of Ken."

Jacobs' disappearance is oldest unsolved missing persons case in Cumberland County. It has been treated as a homicide since about five months after he went missing.

Anyone with information about his disappearance is urged to call the toll free hotline at 1-866-43-wanted.


Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all