NC names regional Teachers of the Year
Posted January 11, 2016
Raleigh, N.C. — Nine teachers have been selected to represent their education districts and charter schools as the state’s regional Teachers of the Year and will compete for the 2016 Teacher of the Year title.
The winner will succeed last year's Teacher of the Year, Keana Triplett, a high school English teacher at Ashe County High, northeast of Boone.
The 2016 North Carolina Regional Teachers of the Year are:
- Northeast: Marie Smith, Conway Middle (Northampton County Schools)
- Southeast: Katie Snyder, Hoggard High (New Hanover County Schools)
- North Central: Margaret McNeill, Dunn Middle (Harnett County Schools)
- Sandhills: Olivia Hall, Roseboro-Salemburg Middle (Sampson County Schools)
- Piedmont-Triad: Kevin Scharen, Graham High (Alamance-Burlington Schools)
- Southwest: Bobbie Cavnar, South Point High (Gaston County Schools)
- Northwest: Leah Hayes, South Newton Elementary (Newton-Conover City Schools)
- Western: Angel Ledbetter, Rutherford Early College High (Rutherford County Schools)
- Charter Schools: Brandon Brown, Lake Norman Charter (Mecklenburg County)
The 2016 North Carolina Teacher of the Year will be announced April 7 at an awards ceremony in Cary. North Carolina has recognized outstanding teachers through its Teacher of the Year program since 1970.