Raleigh, N.C. — Some local chefs and restaurants have been named semi-finalists for the annual James Beard Foundation awards.
The awards are often referred to as "The Oscars of Food," and the Triangle has a legacy of taking home honors.
North Carolina is also well-represented in the list of semi-finalists for Best Chef in the Southeast. Among those on the list:
- Aaron Vandemark of Panciuto in Hillsborough
- Vivian Howard of the Chef and the Farmer in Kinston
- Scott Howell of Nana's in Durham
- Matt Kelly of Mateo Tapas in Durham
- Meherwan Irani, Chai Pani, Asheville, NC
- Katie Button, Cúrate, Asheville, NC
- John Fleer, Rhubarb, Asheville, NC
Finalists will be named March 24. The winners will be announced during a gala at Lyric Opera of Chicago in New York City on May 4.