Raleigh, N.C. — Several North Carolina breweries took home top honors at the U.S. Open Beer Championships over the weekend.
The annual competition, which was held in Oxford, Ohio, featured more than 6,000 beers representing more than 100 different styles. The competition included professional breweries and award-winning home-brewers.
Lynnwood Brewing Concern of Raleigh and Appalachian Mountain Brewing from Boone were named to the top 10 breweries of the year list.
Lynwood also won three gold medals: One for its American-style black ale, Once You Go; another for its American Strong Pale Ale, Hop on Top; and the third for its West Coast IPA, Hop Sauce. The brewery also won a bronze medal for its Classic Irish Stout dubbed Kiss My Irish Stout.
Appalachian Mountain Brewing won two gold medals, the first for its Imperial IPA Daniel's Double brew and the second for its Belgian Quadrupel Wiseman's View. The brewery also took home bronze medals in the German Wheat category for its Reinheitsgeboot and in the Experimental Beer category for its brew Edge of A Dream.
Top 10 Breweries 2017
- Cherry Street Brewing Cooperative – Cumming, Ga.
- Black Tooth Brewing – Sheridan, Wy.
- Lynnwood Brewing Concern – Raleigh
- Cigar City Brewing – Tampa Bay, Fla.
- Ecliptic Brewing – Portland, Ore.
- La Quinta Brewing – La Quinta, Calif.
- Appalachian Mountain Brewing – Boone
- Guadalupe Brewing – New Braunfels, Texas
- Revelry Brewing – Charleston, S.C.
- Cameron’s Brewing – Oakville, Ontario (tie)
- Straub Brewing – St. Marys, Pa. (tie)
Other North Carolina breweries that took home honors:
- American-Belgo-Style Ale - Whitewall Wheat – Crank Arm Brewing (bronze)
- English Mild Ale - Pickwick – Mystery Brewing (silver)
- Brown Ale -Sweet Jose – Lonerider Brewing (bronze)
- Brown Porters – Dancing Problems – Wise Man Brewing (bronze)
- Old Ale – Vintage 2016 – Fortnight Brewing (silver)
- Classic Irish Dry Stout - St. Stephen’s Green – Mystery Brewing (silver) and Kiss My Irish Stout – Lynnwood Brewing Concern (bronze)
- East Coast IPA - Yard Breather – The Dreamchaser’s Brewery (silver)
- French / Belgian Ale - Emmalynn – White Street Brewing (silver)
- Rye / Roggen Beer - Rickshaw Rye IPA – Crank Arm Brewing (gold)
- Vienna - Thanks for the (Decoctoion) Pot Dan – Derrick Flippin (homebrewer) (bronze)
- German Hefeweizen - Shotgun Betty – Lonerider Brewing (bronze)
- American Amber/CA Common - Dream Steam – Keith Eisel (homebrewer) (silver)
- American Light - Pinky Restraint – Derrick Flippin (homebrewer) (bronze)
- Gluten-Free Beer - When Life Gives You Hops Make Lemons – Oak & Dagger Public House (bronze)