Local News

Nash County burned woman released from hospital

Posted March 1, 2010

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

Map

— A Nash County woman severely burned in an explosion last summer is out of the hospital.

Michele Allen, 36, was badly burned while escaping from her home at the intersection of N.C. Highway 97 and Halifax Road, near Sharpsburg, on Aug. 10.

Neighbors reported hearing an explosion before seeing the flames. Witnesses said Allen's hair and clothes were on fire when she fled the burning house.

Allen had only lived in the rented house for a few days.

Allen was transported by helicopter to the North Carolina Jaycee Burn Center at UNC Hospitals in Chapel Hill for treatment of second- and third-degree burns. She was released from the hospital Monday.

The fire was caused by a liquid propane leak, investigators said.

Allen's family said they are consulting with an attorney about who is responsible for the explosion.

Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all