N.C. State Fair adds more entertainment
Posted August 15, 2013
Raleigh, N.C. — Some old favorites and several new acts will be roaming the state fairgrounds this October for the annual N.C. State Fair.
Here's a rundown of the new performers and where to find them:
- You should be able to spot the Gantry Bike by Cirque Mechanics by their tall, pedal-powered mechanical structure that serves as their stage. Aerialists will dangle overhead from it, spinning and twirling as the whole structure moves around. Where to find them: Roaming between Gate 11 and Dorton Arena at noon, 3 and 6 p.m.
- The Wacky Wheeler is described as a super-sized open wheel that transports its elf-like entertainer, Melvin. Honking horns and colorful flags will make this entertainment nearly impossible to miss. Where to find them: Near the Scott Building at 11 a.m. and 1, 3 and 5 p.m.
- Hansen’s Spectacular Acrobatic Sensations is a family act featuring high-speed juggling, acrobats on a trampoline and high-flying performances on a 30-foot-tall cloud swing. The act even features the youngest of Shane and Alecia Michelle Hansen’s three children, 3-year-old Ella. Where to find them: Beside the FFA Children’s Barn at noon, 3 and 6 p.m.
- The K-9s in Flight dog show features rescued dogs showing off their jumping skills and in hot pursuit of Frisbee discs. Watch these athletic canines jump, run and spring off the back of trainer John Misita. There will also be some K9 Dock Diving. Where to find them: At 2, 4 and 6 p.m. near Gate 9 and the racing pigs.
- Karen Quest, billed as America’s Funniest Cowgirl, combines roping skills and tricks with humor. An engaging show for all-ages. Where to find her: At 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. in Kiddieland.
Some musical acts performing on two stages during the fair:
- Larry Cordle, a Nashville songwriter and recording artist, will perform on the Bluegrass Stage in Heritage Circle at 4 and 6 p.m., Oct. 17 and 3 and 6 p.m. Oct. 18-27.
- Diamond Creek, winner of the 2013 Got to Be NC Festival Bluegrass Competition, will perform Oct. 26 and 27 at 11 a.m. and 2 and 5 p.m.
- The Kitchen Craft Waterfall Stage has a few first-time acts including Descendientes, Dimension and Flamasso Musical. Other performers include GrooveTown, Hicksboro Station and Larry Frick. Performances are held daily at 10:30 a.m., noon, 1:30, 3, 4:30 and 6 p.m. Be on the lookout for special performances on Military Day, Oct. 23.
Old favorites will return including racing pigs, Kenya Safari Acrobats, a magician, a one-man band and a BMX stunt show.
The N.C. State Fair runs Oct. 17-27 at the State Fairgrounds in Raleigh. Advance tickets are on sale now!