The N.C. Science Festival continues through this Sunday, featuring a big variety of STEM-focused activities for all ages.
The events are happening across the state, including here in the Triangle region. Each week, I've been featuring some of the weekend activities here on Go Ask Mom.
Here are some this weekend that you'll want to check out!
- Piedmont Wildlife Center's Bio Blitz is 4 p.m. to 11 p.m., Friday, and 7 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday, at the Piedmont Wildlife Center, 364 Leigh Farm Park in Durham. This "epic nature scavenger hunt" offers a chance to search for as many plant and animal species as possible. Learn more about the biodiversity of the environment, meet wildlife ambassadors and more. It's free.
- Triangle SciTech Expo is 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday, at the N.C. Museum of Natural Sciences in downtown Raleigh. The free event includes more than 50 hands-on exhibits, games, crafts, presentations and more. The event assembles scientists and technical professionals from universities and other organizations and lets them showcase their innovations and research to the public.
- Public Landfill Tours at the South Wake Solid Waste Management Facilities in Apex, 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m., Saturday. It's free, but registration is required for this one. Also, participants must be Wake County residents ages 8 years and up. Tour an active landfill. Ride to the top of a closed landfill, visit a landfill gas-to-energy facility and ride through household waste and recycling facilities.
- Songbird Celebration at Blue Jay Point County Park in Raleigh, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Saturday. Songbird Celebration highlights the return of migratory songbirds and is in honor of International Migratory Bird Day. It's free.
- N.C. State College of Veterinary Medicine Open House, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Saturday, at the college near the N.C. State Fairgrounds. Visit NC State Veterinary Medicine for a day filled with animal friends, fun and interesting information. This is a very popular annual event. It's free!
- Library Launchpad at Richard B. Harrison Community Library, 1313 New Bern Ave., Raleigh, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday. Library Launchpad includes a series of activity stations geared to excite kids from K-5 about aerospace engineering and space sciences, brought to you by the NC State chapter of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics. It's free.
- Family Science Fair and Innovation Expo, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday, at Marbles Kids Museum. Two ways to take part: Sign-up to display your own project or simply explore others’ creations and investigations. Engage in hands-on science activities and demonstrations. It's free with admission, which is $5 per person.