Music, trucks, more at Go Ask Mom's North Hills' playdate
Posted July 9, 2015
Updated July 10, 2015
I'm so excited for our next event, which is 10 a.m. to noon, Tuesday, July 14, (that's next week!!), at North Hills' Midtown Park in Raleigh!
We are going to have live performances:
- Singer-songwriter and incredibly talented 13-year-old, Brooke Hatala;
- singer-songwriter Preston Clarke, who is one of two local dads behind the new music-based play space Notasium;
- singer-songwriter Rissi Palmer, who has an incredible recording background and a wonderful children's album and is releasing a new CD this week that recently was covered in Rolling Stone;
- and two very talented high school soloists from the N.C. Theatre Conservatory, the N.C. Theatre's flagship training program offering professional instruction for kids to adults. The conservatory will perform "Crazy For You," Aug. 14 to Aug. 16, at the Duke Energy Center for Performing Arts.
We are going to have a Touch a Truck area with several vehicles, including
- First-in Fire Company's great fire engine, which is so popular for birthday parties;
- Rex Health's new Critical Care transport vehicle (AKA a big ambulance!), which hit the road in early June. It's designed to carry two critical care patients and is an intensive care unit on wheels. The truck mostly carries patients from Johnston Health, Nash Health and Sampson Regional to Rex for heart, vascular or surgical care.
- and a ready mix concrete truck from Argos USA, ready mixed concrete company. An Argos representative will be on hand to answer questions that kids and adults have about the industry.
Marbles Kids Museum will lead some fun active play with jump ropes, hula hoops, a parachute and more. Also, look for mascots, including the Chick-fil-A cow, who will pop in. And Flour Power Kids Cooking Studio will share a craft activity.
And, for moms and their stroller-riding tots, Fit4Mom will offer a free workout from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m., Monday morning. First-time participants should register online and complete a liability waiver. Meet on the grass at the amphitheater, behind Chuy's for class at 9 a.m. Dress to exercise and bring a stroller, a yoga mat or towel, water bottle and snacks and toys for the kids. Expectant mothers are welcome with their OB or midwife's OK to exercise.
Midtown Park sits at the Park at North Hills Street in Raleigh off Six Forks Road. It's on the Harris Teeter side of North Hills next to Chuy's.
And, if I've learned anything after running these events for the last several years, things can change! So stay tuned, be prepared for changes to the line-up and be sure to bring some sunscreen and water for your kids!