Local News

Mother, daughter out of hospital after fatal Onslow fire

Posted March 15, 2012

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— A mother and daughter who were injured last month when a fire tore through their Onslow County home have been released from the hospital, relatives said Thursday.

Authorities said an electrical short in the refrigerator sparked the Feb. 23 fire at 2124 Wilmington Highway, in the Verona community south of Jacksonville.

Ten-year-old Hannah Pittman suffered third-degree burns on her arms, face and back, while her mother, Johnetta Pittman, suffered smoke inhalation after trying repeatedly to enter the burning house to rescue her children. Both were treated at the North Carolina Jaycee Burn Center at UNC Hospitals in Chapel Hill.

Three other children died in the fire. Authorities said Tabitha Pitttman, 12, and two younger brothers, Elijah, 9, and Gabriel, 7, died of smoke inhalation.

The remaining four Pittman children were previously released from area hospitals. Their father was at work when the fire started.

6 Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • sabby06 Mar 15, 2012

    I know these people. Trust me when I say that all of the prayers and concern from everybody are appreciated. People have stepped up a great amount to help them out. Y'all don't know how much it means.

  • 2alegal Mar 15, 2012

    There are several GOOD people building this family a house in Onslow County. Its pretty big too. I heard someone donated the land and from there is has blossomed. Some of us need to take "note".

  • passport423 Mar 15, 2012

    I think WRAL should have posters real names reflected to cut down on the hateful comments. (But I'm not going first.)

  • Ambygirl Mar 15, 2012

    Been there once, Greg and Uni is just putting on an act to show his stupidity. He's been on every blog today using this same stupid verbage. I'm surprised the moderators have let any of it through. Unless one of the moderators is doing it? Seems to be possible at this point.

  • Been there once Mar 15, 2012

    Greg and Uni--- That was really heartless and uncalled for. Whoever is monitoring this should have deleted your post.

  • kcastleberry Mar 15, 2012

    Our prayers continue to be with this family as they have years of healing left to do.