Local News

Moore man burned in propane-tank explosion

Posted November 21, 2008
Updated November 22, 2008

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— A Moore County man was seriously burned when a propane tank exploded at his home Thursday night, officials said.

Grady Alexander Rierson Jr., 50, was using multiple small propane tanks to heat his home at 580 Winding Creek Drive in Carthage. A leak in one of the tanks prompted the explosion just before 9:30 p.m.

Rierson was airlifted to the Jaycees Burn Center at UNC Hospitals in Chapel Hill. He was listed in serious condition Saturday morning.

The Moore County sheriff's office ruled on Friday that the explosion was an accident.

According to a spokesman, the blast was first investigated as a meth lab explosion, but no evidence of drugs was found at the residence.


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all