Moore County girl, 8, burned in bonfire accident
Posted March 8, 2015
Carthage, N.C. — An 8-year-old girl who was burned in a bonfire accident Saturday night was taken by helicopter to the North Carolina Jaycee Burn Center.
Family members say Britney Bibey suffered second- and third-degree burns over 40 percent of her body, including on her face. She will likely have to stay in the hospital for at least two weeks and get skin grafts.
The family was celebrating Britney's cousin's birthday at a home at 213 Bibey Road just north of Whispering Pines, and the cousins asked to end the night with a bonfire. Family members said Britney threw a can into the fire and it exploded. It's unclear what was in the can.
"She tried to run because it caught her dress on fire, and my husband, Brian, snatched her, put her on his knee and was taking the dress off of her," said her aunt, Shaylyn Sanders. "She was scared, and she was rubbing on places. She said, ‘Aunt Shay, they burn.’ I said, ‘Baby, just stay in the shower. The ambulance is on the way.’"
No one else was injured, and no other information was released.