Missing Hope Mills man declared dead after 10 years
Posted September 10, 2012
Hope Mills, N.C. — The family of a mentally handicapped Hope Mills man who disappeared more than 10 years ago asked a Cumberland County judge Monday to declare him legally dead.
Kent Jacobs, 42, left his mother's house on March 10, 2002, and never returned. His remains have not been found and no arrests have been made.
Earlier this year, volunteer search teams combed the area off Hulon Street and Brooklyn Circle, where Jacobs was last seen, to mark 10 years since he disappeared. It was one of countless searches in the area over the past decade.
His family says they have never given up on finding him.
"I don't care if it's 10 years or 50, you never give up hope," Martha Jacobs, Kent Jacobs' mother, said in March.