Local News

Mercury Scare at Day Care Sends 10 to Hospital

Posted August 8, 2007

— Seven children and three staff members of a Johnston County day-care center were taken to a hospital Wednesday morning following a mercury scare, authorities said.

A janitor dropped a thermometer inside the center, which is part of the Powerhouse of Prayer church, at 200 S. Massey St., at about 10:30 a.m., authorities said. Staff members weren't sure if the thermometer contained mercury, so they took the children to Johnston Memorial Hospital as a precaution, authorities said.

Other children at the day care were moved to another location at the church, authorities said.

Authorities later determined the thermometer didn't contain mercury.


Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all