McIntyre undecided on how to spend campaign cash
Posted January 16, 2014
Washington — Democratic 7th District Congressman Mike McIntyre's recent decision not to run for re-election this year leaves him with a decision of how to dispose of the money remaining in his campaign account.
According to its latest filing with the Federal Election Commission, Mike McIntyre for Congress had $633,021 cash on hand at the end of December. More than $184,000 of that came from contributions in the last three months of 2013.
Under FEC rules, he can donate any leftover campaign funds to a nonprofit, refund it to donors or give it to a national political party or other candidates.
Spokesman Andrew Simpson said McIntyre hasn't yet decided how to disburse the funds. One thing he won't be doing is giving it to other candidates, Simpson said.
"The congressman has traditionally stayed out of other races because he has friends on both sides of the aisle, and he does not plan to change that practice," he said in an email to WRAL News.
McIntyre said last week that he wouldn't seek a 10th term in the U.S. House. He barely won re-election in 2012 after the Republican-controlled General Assembly redrew his district to be more favorable to the GOP, and his seat had been targeted for months by national Republican groups.