Raleigh, N.C. — Gov. Pat McCrory has asked the General Assembly to confirm three appointments to the State Board of Education. According to a letter addressed to the Senate President Pro Tempore, they are:
- Rebecca H. Taylor, the owner of Sylvan Learning Centers franchises in the Greenville area.
- Gregory M. Alcorn, CEO and owner of Global Contact Services in Salisbury.
- William W. Cobey Jr., a former North Carolina Republican Party chairman and the vice chairman of the Jesse Helms Center in Wingate.
The appointments would run through March 31, 2019.
McCrory has asked that the legislature approve the appointments before next Wednesday, which is the date of the next school board meeting. A joint House and Senate session is expected Monday or Tuesday.
Update: Here's more information about the governor's appointments, from a McCrory news release:
- William Cobey Jr (Durham, NC) - After serving as a Member of the United States Congress in the mid 1980s, Cobey joined the administration of Governor Martin as Deputy Secretary of the North Carolina Department of Transportation and then as Secretary of the Department of Environment, Health and Natural Resources. Currently, Bill serves as Chairman of the Board of Trustees of Trinity School of Durham and Chapel Hill.
- Rebecca H. Taylor (Greenville, NC) - Taylor has worked in the field of education for more than 35 years. She began her career as a special education teacher, serving students identified with learning and behavioral disabilities. Taylor was selected by East Carolina University (ECU) to pilot an innovative, hands-on Science curriculum with middle school students. She also taught in the Department of Special Education at East Carolina, where she supervised student teachers. She currently owns and operates 5 Sylvan Learning Center franchises in Eastern North Carolina.
- Gregory Alcorn (Salisbury, NC) - Alcorn most recently served as Founder and CEO of Global Contact Services. Formerly the President of SOMAR, Inc. in Salisbury, NC and Telespectrum, Inc. in King of Prussia, PA.