Mayberry Days celebrates 'The Andy Griffith Show' this weekend
Posted September 24, 2014
Mount Airy, N.C. — Mayberry Days, a festival celebrating the anniversary of "The Andy Griffith Show," starts Thursday in downtown Mount Airy.
Events kick off Thursday morning with a golf tournament at Cross Creek Country Club and continue through Sunday.
There are so many events happening there throughout the weekend. Here are a few highlights:
- Thursday 8 p.m. - Beach music from The Embers at Blackmon Amphitheatre. Tickets are $15
- Friday 12:30 p.m. - Don Knotts' daughter, Karen, brings her one-woman show, "Tied Up in Knotts," to the Earle Theatre. Reserved and balcony seats are $15 each.
- Friday 12:30 p.m. - 1:30 p.m. - Snappy Lunch in downtown Mount Airy is hosting a pork chop sandwich eating contest. The record is eight sandwiches. Only those 18 years and older can enter.
- Friday 2:30 p.m. - Pie eating contest in front of the Andy Griffith Playhouse. Register at the Information Station before 2 p.m. Friday to compete. There is a $1 entry fee.
- Friday 4:30 p.m. - Mayberry Days "The Andy Griffith Show" Trivia contest will take place at Blackmon Amphitheatre. To compete, purchase a $2 Trivia Fan at the Information Station in front of the Andy Griffith Playhouse or at the Amphitheatre right before the contest.
- Friday 4:15 p.m. - James Best, known for playing Jim Lindsey on "The Andy Griffith Show" and Rosco P. Coletrane on the "Dukes of Hazzard," shares his favorite clips from TV and film during a family-friendly show. Tickets are $15.
- Friday 2 p.m. - The Doug Dillard Tribute Concert featuring Rodney Dillard and the Dillard Band play the Andy Griffith Playhouse. Dillard was one of the original Darling Boys from "The Andy Griffith Show." Reserved seats are $25.
- Friday 9:30 p.m. - The VW Boys bring their blend of comedy, magic and music to the Earle Theatre with their "Salute to Mayberry." Reserved and balcony tickets are $10.
- Saturday 9 a.m. - The Mayberry Day's parade goes down Main Street from Independence Boulevard to the Andy Griffith Playhouse. Some of the best viewing is supposed to be on the north end of Main Street.
- Saturday 10 a.m. - noon - Silent auction at the Andy Griffith Playhouse featuring unique Mayberry items, including autographed memorabilia.
- Saturday 12:30 p.m. - The Mayberry "Idle" talent competition will be held at Blackmon Amphihteatre. Winners get to perform at Colonel Tim's Matinee and Evening show. Sign up begins at 8 a.m. Friday and continues at 8 a.m. Saturday at the Information Station in front of the Andy Griffith Playhouse.
- Sunday 9:30 a.m. - Colonel Tim's Matinee will feature a variety of talent including stand-up comic John Floyd, "The Mouth of Mayberry." Reserved seats are $25. (Note: There is an evening show, but that is sold out.)
There are many more events that we couldn't even list here. Many are free! For a full rundown, go to the Mayberry Days website.