Local News

Man wanted for murder in Franklinton death surrenders, sheriff says

Posted September 5

— A man wanted for murder after a fight on Monday that included a Franklinton High School student surrendered to authorities Tuesday morning.

Charles Devante Perry-Pender was wanted in connection to a Sept. 4 shooting that left Demarius Barnes, 17, and Montral Kearney, 28, dead. Authorities identified Perry-Pender as a suspect in Kearney's death, according to previous reports.

Perry-Pender was charged with the murder of Kearney, according to the Franklin County Sheriff's Office. He was jailed under no bond.

Authorities believe Kearney shot Barnes, when Kearney thought Barnes was breaking into his home at 154 Marlless Dr. in Franklinton. Perry-Pender then shot Kearney, authorities said.

Charles Perry-Pender

The three men who knew each other and had a bad history, according to previous reports.

Authorities pronounced Barnes dead at the scene, and Kearney died on the way to a local hospital.

Franklinton High School officials said Barnes was suspended from school in Jan. 2017 due to gang-related activity. The suspension would have lasted until Jan. 2018.

"I knew all three of them," a friend said. "I feel bad for all of the parents. It's just sad."

Perry-Pender made a quick court appearance and has hired an attorney. He is due back in court on September 13.

"It's unfortunate this happened," friend Tametria Fowler said. "They were friends, and it just went bad."

Friends say Perry-Pender and Barnes were cousins and that he spent recent years taking care of his ill mother. They say seeing his little cousin shot to death may have caused him to "snap."

"We would just hope the community would come together and rally around these families and you know and the community would stop this senseless violence that's taken the lives of so many young kids," Chief Terry Wright said.


Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all