Man Wanted for Assaults With Truck Surrenders
Posted February 25, 2008
Sanford, N.C. — Dean Michael Varner, 30, of 1356 John Rosser Road in Sanford, surrendered to Lee County sheriff's deputies Sunday afternoon.
Varner's ex-wife, Amanda, told the sheriff's office that he had struck her vehicle Feb. 20 on Black's Travel Road. Two passengers were in her car at the time – including the couple's 1-year-old son.
When Sgt. C.R. Babb attempted to serve Varner on outstanding warrants for that crime, Varner tried to run over Babb with his 1993 Chevrolet truck, deputies said.
Charges against Varner’s include:
- three counts of misdemeanor assault with a deadly weapon
- assault on a child under 12
- injury to property
- assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill
- driving while license revoked
- careless and reckless driving
- felony fleeing to elude arrest
- hit and run
- two counts of violating a protection order
- failure to appear in court.
Varner was held without bond.