Man pleads guilty in Raleigh cabdriver's death
Posted November 12, 2009
Raleigh, N.C. — The third of four men charged in the shooting death of a cabdriver in north Raleigh last December pleaded guilty Thursday.
Jayshon Najee Norment, 20, of 925-C Heathridge Court, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and attempted robbery with a dangerous weapon. Eugene Dumas, 20, of 211 Shelden Drive, and Xavia Monqual Barnes, 18, of 3020 #9 Spanish Court, previously pleaded guilty to the same charges.
Sentencing for all three was deferred until after they testify against the fourth co-defendant, Alexander Hakeen Gonzales, 20, also of 3020 #9 Spanish Court. No trial date has been set.
Michael Howard Palmer, 59, was killed on Dec. 15 during an attempted robbery outside Quail Ridge Apartments, at Falls of Neuse and Millbrook roads, after he dropped off a fare.
Family members say Palmer spent his adult life driving cabs. He had worked for AAA Cab for about two months before his death.
Another Raleigh man pleaded guilty Thursday to robbery with a dangerous weapon in a separate, but related, case.
Joseph Yates robbed a woman last December and tossed a handgun used in the hold-up in some bushes. Authorities said he told friends where the gun could be found, and the weapon was later used to kill Palmer.