Local News

Man killed in Wilson house fire

Posted November 18, 2012

— A man died in a house fire in Wilson Saturday evening, firefighters said.

Authorities have not released the identity of the man whose body firefighters found, but WNCT reported that Ernest Sawrey, 75, died in the fire at 4034 Weaver Road around 7 p.m.

The fire started in the kitchen, but its cause hasn't been determined, authorities said. The house, which doesn't have electricity, was severely damaged. 

Sawrey lived alone and was known for growing peanuts and selling them at the local farmers market, according to WNCT.

2 Comments

This story is closed for comments. Comments on WRAL.com news stories are accepted and moderated between the hours of 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Oldest First
View all
  • seumfithy Nov 19, 1:34 p.m.

    "Why would a house with no elecricity have a refrigerator in it? Unless I am mistaken, there is a refrige in the picture of the burned out house and maybe a microwave on the right side." - Heavenly

    Ummmmm....just because power was cut off to the house does not mean they must also remove the appliances.

  • dontstopnow Nov 19, 9:32 a.m.

    "The house, which doesn't have electricity, was severely damaged."

    Why would a house with no elecricity have a refrigerator in it? Unless I am mistaken, there is a refrige in the picture of the burned out house and maybe a microwave on the right side.

    Sorry this gentleman was killed in the fire. Heart goes out to his family for their loss. :(