Local News

Man dies in Durham house fire

Posted April 4, 2011

Map Marker  Find News Near Me


— A man died in a Durham house fire Sunday evening, according to fire officials.

Someone driving by saw smoke coming from 2126 Charles St. at about 5:10 p.m. and called 911.

Firefighters found Earl Massey, 67, dead inside the home, authorities said.

Authorities said the fire started on a futon in a bedroom, and they said they believe smoking materials ignited the blaze.

The local chapter of the American Red Cross was providing assistance to a woman displaced by the fire, authorities said.

1 Comment

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • wildcat Apr 4, 2011

    Horrible! What a terrible way to die. My condolences to his family and friends. May God continue to comfort all of you.