Officers, suspect in Raleigh shooting identified
Posted August 29
Updated August 30
Raleigh, N.C. — A man who exchanged gunfire with Raleigh police Monday morning has died, police said.
Officer B.F. Burlson was shot in the incident and was taken to WakeMed for treatment for a wound to the leg.
Police identified the dead man as Jaqwan Julius Terry, 24, of Raleigh.
The incident started shortly after 11:30 a.m. with a report of a man with a gun at 241 Donald Ross Drive, near Raleigh Country Club.
"There’s a man with a gun outside and he’s trespassing because he’s not supposed to be here," a woman told a 911 dispatcher. "They’ve been here like four times for him. Come on now, for real."
Court records show that Terry had pending charges for assault and drug offenses and had been previously been charged with possession of a firearm by a felon, driving while impaired and a hit-and-run.
The man with a gun had left the area by the time police arrived, but he reappeared a short time later in the street nearby, police said. That set off a foot chase between him and two officers, and shots were fired outside 311 Donald Ross Drive.
In radio traffic release by Raleigh police Monday night, an officer can be heard asking the man to put the gun down and saying that the man, who was in the backyard to the residence, refused to drop his gun. Moments later, the officer reports that shots have been fired and an officer has been hit in the leg.
The State Bureau of Investigation was called in to investigate the shooting, and the Raleigh Police Department's Internal Affairs Unit will review the incident to determine if any policies were violated.
Police identified the second officer involved as B.S. Beausoleil.
Beausoleil, 30, was hired in March 2008, and Burleson was hired in July 2009. Both officers are assigned to the Field Operations Division and have been placed on administrative leave.
Raleigh police roped off several blocks of Donald Ross Drive after the incident, and they later taped off an apartment building at the intersection of Warren Avenue and Ralph Drive, about three blocks from the shooting scene. Access to parts of WakeMed also was restricted for a time early Monday afternoon.