Local News

Man dies after Carrboro townhouse fire

Posted May 2, 2011
Updated May 3, 2011

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— A fire at a Carrboro townhouse Monday morning sent a man to a local hospital, where he later died, authorities said Tuesday.

Authorities said the fire started in the bedroom of a home at 113 Lantern Way around 10 a.m.

Two people were home at the time, and a 40-year-old man suffered smoke inhalation and burns on his body.

He was taken to the North Carolina Jaycee Burn Center in Chapel Hill. Authorities said the man, whose name hasn't been released, died of his injuries.

Authorities said a cigarette appears to have caused the fire, noting a cigarette was found on a bed mattress.

Firefighters contained the fire to the bedroom, and no other injuries were reported.


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all