Man charged in Durham newspaper carrier carjacking, shooting
Posted January 5, 2012
Durham, N.C. — A man wanted in a Durham carjacking in which gunfire was exchanged with a newspaper carrier has been arrested, police said Thursday.
Marcus Anthony Keith, 23, of Wabash Street, is charged with robbery with a dangerous weapon, larceny of a vehicle, assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill, making a false report to police, misdemeanor probation violation and second-degree trespassing. He was placed in the Durham County jail under a $1 million bond.
Members of the U.S. Marshals Services Violent Fugitive Task Force arrested Keith Wednesday on Meriwether Drive.
A 70-year-old carrier for The Herald-Sun told police that he was loading a newspaper rack at a shopping center on Nov. 22 when a man brandishing a weapon came up behind him. The gunman jumped into the carrier's 2008 Chevrolet Colorado pickup and fired a shot at the carrier, who then pulled out his own .357-caliber handgun and returned fire.
The unidentified carrier was uninjured, but he wounded the gunman.
The pickup was found abandoned less than a mile away, on West Edgewood Drive.
Police said the false report charge against Keith stems from the fact that he told investigators that he had been shot at the McDougald Terrace housing complex.