Murder charge filed after man beaten in Raleigh dies
Posted October 25, 2013
Raleigh, N.C. — A 64-year-old man who was hospitalized earlier this month after being beaten with a bottle during an attempted robbery near downtown Raleigh has died.
Raleigh police said Friday that Curtis Ray Woodard died Wednesday at WakeMed, where he was taken after the Oct. 7 incident in the 900 block of East Hargett Street.
Britis Andruce Previlon, 32, who is accused of assaulting Woodard, was charged with murder.
Previlon had been in the Wake County jail on charges of attempted murder, attempted robbery with a dangerous weapon and resisting a public officer.
The night of the assault, a witness called 911 to report a “younger gentleman chasing an older guy” in a suit who was carrying several bags and appeared to be homeless. The older man then fell, the caller said.
Residents in the area said the attacker jumped over a fence into someone's backyard and ran away. The attack appeared so bad, they said, that they thought Woodard was already dead when EMS arrived.
Previlon was found a short time later, with the help of a Wake County Sheriff's Office K-9, about six blocks away in the 200 block of South State Street.
An obituary in the Wilson Times stated that Woodard was from Wilson.