Make-Up Days: Details on school systems' inclement weather plans
Posted January 8
Updated January 9
With icy roads and below freezing temperatures in the forecast, I'm expecting we might just log a few snow days this week.
Already, Wake County Public School System, Durham Public Schools, Chapel Hill Carrboro City Schools and Orange County Schools have called school off for Monday. WRAL-TV has the full list of closures.
Wondering when the make-up days are? Here are links to several school systems in the region where you'll find more information about make-up day plans for Monday and beyond, if it comes to that.
Wake County Public School System: Make-up days vary depending on the school your kids attend. Here are the make-up days for Monday's snow day for the various schools ...
- Jan. 27 for traditional calendar schools
- Feb. 20 for modified calendar schools and Wake STEM Early College
- Jan. 14 for year-round students in tracks 1 through 3
- Feb. 21 for Leadership Academies students
- March 13 for students at Vernon Malone College & Career Academy and Wake Early College of Health Sciences
If we have more snow days going forward, Wake has all of its calendars, which each include make-up day information, on its website.
Durham Public Schools: Again, make-up days vary depending on what school your kids attend. Here are the make-up days for Monday:
- Jan. 23, traditional calendar
- March 27, year-round calendar
- Feb. 10, City of Medicine Academy
- March 6, Middle College High School at Durham Tech
- March 10, J.D. Clement Early College High School at NCCU
- March 17, New Tech High School at Hillside
Going forward, Durham's website has school calendars, which include make-up day information.
Orange County Public Schools: The school system has a formula for make-up days that says the first five days (or 32.5 hours) of instruction missed would become teacher workdays and would not be made up by students. The system's calendar page has the details.
Chapel Hill Carrboro City Schools: The next inclement weather day is listed as Jan. 23, according to the school's calendar.
Johnston County Schools: The next inclement weather day is listed as Jan. 26 for traditional calendar schools and Jan. 27 for year-round schools, according to the system's calendars.
Chatham County Schools: According to the school's calendar, when a make-up day is required, "instructional hours beyond the required 1,025 will be applied." If more days are required to make up, the calendar lists inclement weather days.