5 On Your Side

Lost legal documents? Check with individual agencies to replace

Posted October 26, 2016

Some of the most critical things to replace after a natural disaster are legal records—the paperwork that documents our lives.

Tracking down phone numbers or websites to everything you need to replace can be a daunting task.

Whether flooding from a hurricane, cleanup after a tornado or a house fire, critical documents can be lost in an instant. From real estate records to Social Security to credit cards, where do you start?

North Carolinians can use the following resources to replace lost or damaged documents and records:

Replace your EBT card: 1-866-719-0141

Order new birth and death certificates: 888-622-7328

Replace a lost driver's license: 919-733-3000

Replace vehicle titles: 919-715-7000

Replace a Social Security card: 919-715-7000

Replace a Medicare card

Replace a Green Card: 800-772-1213

Replace a U.S. Passport: 800-375-5283

Replace an EE bond : 877-487-2778

Request military service records

Replace SNAP card (food stamps)

Replace bank checks, ATM/debit cards or safe deposit boxes: 1-866-719-0141

American Express: 877-275-3342

Discover: 800-528-4800

Mastercard: 800-622-8372

Visa: 800-847-2911

Credit Reports: 877-322-8228

U.S. savings bond: 800-722-2678 or 800-553-2663

Tax returns: 800-829-1040

Real estate and property records

Medical and prescription records: Contact your own doctor

Other family records

Individuals, including homeowners, renters, and business owners, in the designated counties who suffered loss or damages due to Hurricane Matthew may register for assistance online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov, by downloading the FEMA mobile app, or by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362).

For those who use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), the number is also 1-800-621-3362. For people using TTY, the number is 1-800-462-7585.

Dial 211 to speak with a trained call specialist about Hurricane Matthew assistance in your area; the service is free, confidential and available in any language.

Call 511 for the latest road conditions or check the ReadyNC mobile app, which also has real-time shelter and evacuation information.

For updates on Hurricane Matthew impacts and relief efforts, go to ReadyNC.org or follow N.C. Emergency Management on Twitter and Facebook.

People or organizations that want to help ensure North Carolina recovers can visit NCdisasterrelief.org or text NCRecovers to 30306.


Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all