Lil Chef: Thanksgiving Turkey Gobbler, Apple Dumplings
Posted November 19, 2012
Budding cooks Abby and Emily and Susan Caldwell, founder of Lil' Chef studios in North Hills, share how to make an edible Turkey Gobbler for the Thanksgiving dinner table and delicious Apple Dumplings for dessert.
- Whole honeydew melon
- 1 red bell pepper (could substitute strawberries if desired)
- 1 bosc pear
- Purple seedless grapes
- One can chopped pineapple
- 16 cubes of cheddar cheese
- Bamboo skewers
- Cut a shallow piece off the bottom of the honeydew so it sits securely.
- Cut out a 1/4 opening in the back and hollow it out. Reserve the 1/4 for the tail feathers. Clean out the seeds and use a melon ball scoop to remove the melon.
- Mix the melon, half a can of pineapple, and 1 cup grapes ,and place back into the melon.
- Cut a skewer in half and shove it into the front of the melon and attach the pear.
- Cut the bell pepper in half, then cut the halves in half length-wise.
- For the feet: Cut one section in half, cut a slit for the toes and slide under the body.
- For the front feathers: Cut the remaining sections into seven slices, attach six with skewers.
- For the turkey face: Use a toothpick to attach the last piece as the snood.
- Attach 8 skewers fanned across the top of the turkey. Alternate grapes, pineapple, and cheese in your desired pattern.
- Cut the reserved honeydew into 8 sections and attach to the end of the skewers.
- Optional: Cut 8 skewers in half and shove them in the back end of the turkey. Mound more fruit on top to fill out the body of the bird.
- 2 (8 count) cans crescent rolls
- 3 to 4 tart apples
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (12 ounce) can Mountain Dew soda
- Spray a 13x9 baking dish or pan.
- Peel and slice apples into 16 pieces.
- Roll each apple slice in 1 section of crescent roll.
- Place rolled slices in pan in two rows, put extras along side.
- Melt butter, add sugar and cinnamon and pour over apples.
- Pour can of Mountain Dew over all.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.