Local News

Lightning May Have Caused Chatham County House Fire

Posted October 24, 2007
Updated October 25, 2007

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— Lightning may have caused a house to catch on fire Wednesday night in northern Chatham County.

The owners of the East Church Street home in the Governors Club subdivision were not home when neighbors said they heard a loud boom, possibly from lightning. When the neighbors looked out the window, they saw the house was on fire.

The Chapel Hill Fire Department and the Carrboro Fire Department helped Chatham County firefighters quickly put out the blaze.

The extent of the damage was unknown as firefighters cleaned up at the scene late Wednesday night. No injuries were reported.

The blaze broke out at the same time firefighters from the North Chatham Volunteer Fire Department were already engaged with a barn fire on Ernest Jones Road. Firefighters from the Parkwood Volunteer Fire Department in Durham  and Apex and Cary were called to help with that fire.