177 lbs. Finally!
Posted July 22, 2009
The stalemate has been broken. I finally fell down from my 178 lb. plateau this week. My scales read 177 this morning. That puts me three lbs. shy of my Ten Pounds Down Weight Loss Challenge goal of 174.
Perhaps a series of new core exercises helped pave the way for progress. It's always good to try something new when you've reached an impasse. Plus, I enjoyed playing my first game of full-court basketball since foot surgery in January. No problems, though my shot was a little rusty. It's fun trying to keep up with guys half your age.
I've kept a fairly consistent diet. I did splurge on popcorn at the movie but I steered clear of Milk Duds and Junior Mints.
How is your diet going? Some of you have made great strides. What has worked for you and what hasn't?
Registered dietitian and trainer Tara Wind is eager to answer your questions. Please submit them and we will get you some solid advice. Earlier this week Tara offered a list of her Ten Terrific Foods. In case you missed it here they are. She will offer up her list of Ten Terrible Foods next week.
- More potassium than bananas; great source of Vitamins E, K and Bs
- Highest fiber content of any fruit
- Healthy monounsaturated fat
- Non fat or low-fat
- Protein rich - up to 22 grams per cup compared to 8 grams in other yogurts
- Make good smoothies because of their creamy custard-like texture
- Great snack on the go especially with fruit
- Good source of protein
- Nice addition to any sandwich (in place of mayo)
- Great with crackers and raw vegetables
- I eat way too much of this
- wild rice, brown basmati rice
- 100% whole wheat products
- strawberries, raspberries, blueberries
- high in antioxidants
Red Wine (Guinness too!)
- Red wine has antioxidants and can be good for your heart in the recommended amounts
- Guinness is just good!
- spinach, baby lettuces, arugula
- High amounts of vitamin K, A, C, folate, iron, calcium
- salmon and tuna
- omega 3 content- recommended amounts can be reached by 2 servings per week
- all things in moderation