Tips for Saving Money Over the Holidays
Posted November 6, 2007
Updated November 14, 2007
Ways to save money over the holidays:
- Attend free or inexpensive plays and concerts at schools, colleges or community centers.
- Decorate only part of your house or yard.
- Buy new shoes, jewelry or accessories to update an outfit instead of purchasing a new one.
- Ask a grandparent or other relative to buy a child's holiday outfit.
- Give homemade gifts.
- Celebrate with family after the holidays to take advantage of sales.
- Travel on holidays to save on airfare.
- Shop for gifts all year long. (But keep a list to avoid duplicating presents.)
- Give to charities throughout the year so you don't feel pressured to make a large contribution during the holidays.
Sources: Sally Herigstad and Liz Pulliam Weston.