Sears Farm Road Park in western Cary is definitely worth a drive.
You'll find a good-sized playground; paved trails; some unique landscaped areas; a collection of bench swings; and a giant sculpture that kids can climb on and move.
Here's what I love about the park:
1. The playground. The park features separate areas for younger kids and older kids. Unfortunately, the playset for younger kids and a sand area gets no shade. But the playset for older kids is under a nice stand of hardwood trees. Park Review: Sears Farm Road Park
2. Seating. There's a lot of seating if you're looking for a place to relax while your kids play. There's a covered picnic table right next to the playset for younger kids. And there's a deck with benches that connects to the playset for older kids.
3. The landscaping and property. I'm not talking about nice flower beds here. I'm talking about, for instance, an earthen dome and a checkerboard where the squares are grass or brick.
4. The bench swings. I've always wanted a front porch swing, but until I get that (along with the front porch), I love finding these swings in parks.
5. The public art. You can look at Curvaceous Kiss, the giant sculpture that sits right off Sears Farm Road and you can play on it.
You'll find plenty of picnic areas here too, along with bathrooms and a basketball court.
Get a closer look at the park in the video. Full disclosure: It was about 100 degrees when I was out there, which is why nobody was there. It's usually much busier.
Sears Farm Road Park is at 5077 Sears Farm Rd. in Cary.