Raleigh parks department offers nature programs all year. Here are a few that are coming up:
- Lightning Bugs: See the lights of summer in action. A hike and craft will be included in this fun, educational program. Program held from 7:45 p.m. to 8:45 p.m. July 15 at Barwell Road Community Center. Program is for ages 6-12, fee $5 per participant. Please pre-register four days in advance.
- Pond Study: Get your hands muddy and discover the critters that call the pond home. Learn about the food chain and metamorphosis. Program held from 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. June 25 at Laurel Hills Community Center. All ages welcome; fee is $3 per person. All children under 16 must be accompanied by a paying adult. Please pre-register four days in advance.
- Birding for Preschoolers: Basic backyard birds will be our focus as we talk about their different colors and songs. We will explore the outdoors in search of these feathered friends. Program held from 9:30 a.m. to 10:15 a.m. June 29 at Sertoma Arts Center. Ages 3-5, fee is $3 per participant. Please pre-register four days in advance.
- Animal Tree Houses. Learn who calls trees home and discover how animals use trees for more than just a house. A story and a craft will teach us more. At Method Road Community Center, Saturday, July 9 from 1 p.m. to 1:45 p.m.. Ages 3-5; fee is $4 per participant. Please pre-register four days in advance.
- Family Nature Walk. A nature instructor will point out wildlife and other things discovered along the trail. Nature walk held at Sertoma Community Center on Saturday, July 9, from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. All ages welcome; fee is $2 per person. Children under 16 should be accompanied by a paying adult. Please pre-register four days in advance.
- Preschool Wetland Explorers. Preschoolers and an adult will explore Walnut Creek Wetland Center with a nature instructor. Pre-registration required four days prior to the program. This program is $2 and is open to children ages 3 to 5. It will be from 10:30 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. July 13 at the Walnut Creek Wetland Center. For more information, contact Walnut Creek Wetland Center at 919-831-1960.
- Little Nature Hikers. Join a nature instructor and other families for a guided walk around the park with your child. Meet other families in your community and learn about nature. We’ll see birds, insects and maybe even a few mammals and reptiles. Strollers are welcome. All children must be accompanied by an adult. Walk held at Lake Johnson from 10 a.m. to 10:45 a.m. July 13. Ages 2-5, fee is $2 per participant. Please pre-register four days in advance.
For more information, contact the city's nature programs at 919-831-6640 and click here.