I've have the details on three area groups that have signed up to be part of an international event aimed at setting a world record for the most cloth diapers every changed at the same time.
Smart Momma in Raleigh, GreenPea Baby in Apex and the Real Diaper Association of Wayne County all will be part of Saturday's Great Cloth Diaper Change 2011. Event organizers hope it will show parents that cloth diapering has come a long way since the days of pins and rubber pants and that it's better for both the environment, the baby and the pocketbook.
Groups around the world will participate with the hopes of setting a Guinness World Record. The official changing happens at noon, though most events start earlier than that just to ensure that everybody is where they need to be on time.
For details on each of the events, check the websites. Here are the links. Reservations are requested for these.
Smart Momma in Raleigh
GreenPea Baby in Apex
Real Diaper Association of Wayne County in Goldsboro
And if you're considering cloth diapering, Heather of the Wayne County group shared some of these diapering details:
- Disposable diapers contain chemicals that are known to be harmful to humans such as dioxin, Tributylin-tin (TBT), and sodium polyacrylate.
- The manufacture and use of a disposable diaper uses 2.3 times more water than that of a cloth diaper.
- The water used to clean cloth diapers is equivalent to the amount used by a toilet trained toddler.
- Disposable diapers make up our nation's third largest solid waste only behind all paper products and all food containers.
- Disposable diapers may take up to 500 years to decompose.
- Disposable diapers filled with human waste are a hazard to our natural resources. Even solid waste in disposable diapers should be flushed.
- Using disposable diapers for two years can cost a family around $2,000.
- Using cloth diapers for the same amount of time can cost as low as $300.
- Modern cloth diapers are nothing like the cloth diapers our grandmothers used. They're fun, fashionable, and much easier to maintain.