Local libraries are a great resource for free activities for kids ... and I'm not just talking about all the books. You'll find anime clubs, performances, special storytimes and much, much more.
So every month, I'll highlight programs at a few libraries across the region. I won't hit them all each month. There are too many! But I will always link to our libraries resource page so you can find out what's happening in a library near you.
And here's what caught my eye at a few Wake County libraries this month:
Cameron Village Library, 1930 Clark Ave. Raleigh
- 2:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., March 5, Carolina Tiger Rescue of Pittsboro will talk all about lions and tigers and servals and what it take to rescue and care for these and many other large predators. This special family-friendly presentation is designed for all ages.
- 11 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. March 12, Kids' Yoga Storytime for ages 2 to 5. Bring your child to yoga storytime, and watch your child act out the story! This method of whole child learning exercises brain and body, enhances reading skills and presents a fresh and integrative dimension to book reading. Instructor Holly Woodard has participated in YOGAKIDS Foundations training and is an instructor at Evolve Movement studio in Raleigh. No registration required.
- 2:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., March 19, Fancy Nancy Tea for 4- to 8-year-olds. Enjoy a Fancy Nancy tea party filled with refreshments, games and stories. Dress in your fanciest clothes and join us. Registration required. Call 919-856-6723.
- 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., March 20, Read to a Dog for beginning readers. Come read your favorite book to Curry the Dog. Call or stop by the Children's Services Desk to register. The number is 919-856-6723.
- 11 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., March 26, Music Together for infants to five-year-olds and their caregivers. Catherine Hale, a Music Together teacher, presents a program that includes information for parents, and singing, dancing, fingerplay chants, instrument play, and lullaby time for everyone.
Eva Perry Regional Library, 2100 Shepherd's Vineyard Dr., Apex
- 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m., March 10, Wii party for teens. Play Rock Band and Rayman Raving Rabbits. For grades 6 to 12. To register, call 919-387-2100.
- 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m., March 24, Teen poetry slam and hot chocolate. For grades 6 to 12. Call 919-387-2100 to register and for reading guidelines.
Holly Springs Library, 300 W. Balentine St., Holly Springs
- 9:30 a.m., March 5, Dr. Seuss' Birthday. Enjoy several classic stories as well as fun-filled activities and refreshments. Immediately following, the library will show a Seuss movie in the adjoining Holly Springs Cultural Center Theatre. Pick up your free ticket, which is required, at both the Youth Services and Customer Service desks. All ages welcome.
Cary Community Library, 310 S. Academy St., Cary
- 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m., March 5. Suessapalooza party and craft session for kids ages 6 to 10. Sign up is required for this event. Each session is limited to 20 kids. Call 919-460-3350 to sign up. Parents don't need to attend.