My daughter's first snow day was actually met with some disappointment this morning. She loves school. And the icy conditions at my house aren't the best for lots of outdoor play.
But we've got plenty of activities to keep us busy at home. Here's what we're doing.
- Finishing up our holiday crafts, namely some food mixes that we need to get in the mail sooner than later. Read my earlier post on holiday crafts for some ideas and links.
- Christmas cards. I haven't even started on these and my daughter helps me, writing her name, stuffing envelopes and putting on the stamps.
- Gingerbread house construction. Every year we consider getting one of those gingerbread house kits. And every year, we decide we'll try it one more time with graham crackers. The decision is primarily made by my daughter, who enjoys picking out all the candy from the bulk section at Fresh Market. The kits come with the candy, so we'd end up skipping this very important step if we got one. We don't have the candy, but we have the graham crackers. So we'll get started.
- Watching some Christmas specials that we've recorded.
- Checking out some crazy Christmas light displays on YouTube.
- Oh ... and hopefully a little house cleaning.
When I wrote a similar post last winter, one reader said she planned on working on some essential skills with her older kids, such as teaching them how to do the laundry or boil an egg. What are you up to today?