I don’t know about you, but last week chewed me up and spit me out. For all the vows I made to not let the holidays get me stressed, I am not off to a great start. But! At least I recognize my failings early, and perhaps I’ll be able to correct. One can only hope.
While I try to get myself in order, I offer you the things that made laugh this week, when I remembered to remember them:
- My 5-year-old son told me, in all seriousness, that “Daddy is in charge of the house”. (My husband couldn’t be more proud).
- My 6-year-old daughter asked me yesterday, “Mom, when are you going to clean this house up?” (Do I sense a theme here????)
- I found out Saturday morning that my daughter had agreed to go to a birthday party Saturday afternoon (there were some tears mixed with that laughter, especially because I had just returned from Wal-Mart when I heard this news and knew that I would now have to go back for a gift).
- I don’t care if your kids are 2-years-old or 10, the minute they know you are in the bathroom, with the door closed, they are determined to see you, no matter what.
- The grandparents were asking for simple Christmas gift ideas for the children. My daughter offered only one suggestion: a complicated Barbie nail salon toy that I later found out cost more than my utility bill last month.
- Both of my kids cried, (CRIED!) when I had to turn in my minivan for body work this week. Boy, will I use that against them when they are teenagers.
Now, I’m off to more Thanksgiving programs at school, more potluck meals to attend, more…..more….more.
Jennifer is a mom of two and WRAL-TV assignment editor in Fayetteville. Her food obsession memoir, “Designated Fat Girl,” came out in September. Read more about Jennifer and her book on her website. Find her here on Go Ask Mom on Tuesdays.