Western Wake Farmers' Market in Cary will celebrate Potato Day on Sept. 8 with samples, a potato toss and potato sack races among other events to celebrate the tuber.
Pick some up at the market and try this recipe for potato pancakes.
Potato Pancakes – Farmers’ Market Style (UPDATED recipe)
2 medium shredded idaho potatoes
1 slightly beaten egg
1 tablespoon chopped onion
3 tablespoons flour
1/4 cups water or milk (to obtain desired consistency)
2 tablespoons vegetable
Salt, pepper, cajun seasoning (to taste)
1 cup vegetable oil (for frying)
1. Blend all ingredients, except frying oil, to thick "Pancake Batter" consistency.
2. Add oil to hot fry pan, high heat.
3. Add large serving spoon of batter to pan.
4. Turn over when edges start to turn golden and 1 or 2 bubbles in pancake.
5. Slightly mash down the pancake, fry until golden brown, flip over for few seconds.
6. Serve with butter, jam, jelly, fruits or salsa for toppings.
The Western Wake Farmers’ Market, 1225 Morrisville Carpenter Rd. in Cary, is open now from 8 a.m. to noon, Saturday, and 3:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., Tuesday (through the beginning of September).
Here's what's happening at the market in September:
- Sept. 1: Susan Sink, The Tarheel Foodie, will have recipes and samples featuring seasonal market ingredients. Music by No Worries.
- Sept. 8: It’s Potato Day at the Market. Discover the variety of potatoes available at the market. Potato toss and potato sack races for kids! Whole Foods Cary will have recipes and samples featuring potatoes. Music by Kyle Scobie.
- Sept. 15: Get lost in the mystery and discover the fantasy of books available at West Regional Library. Music by Motley Tones.
- Sept. 18: 5% Day at Whole Foods Cary. 5% of all sales benefit Western Wake Farmers’ Market.
- Sept. 22: Learn healthy recipes and how to make quick, easy, local meals from Sprouting Souls. Music by CityFolk.
- Sept. 29: Fall Gardening Demonstration (all you need to know about planting a fall and winter garden) by the Morrisville Community Garden. Music by Justin Johnson.
Go Ask Mom features a recipe every Friday. For more, go to WRAL.com's recipe database.