This summery salad is easy to make and very versatile. It is one of the most popular sides on our catering menu and is currently featured at the Cafe in our Greek Salad and Greek Veggie Sandwich. See below for tips and serving ideas.
2 cups of chickpeas (canned or soaked and cooked)
⅔ cup red bell pepper, diced into small pieces
1 cup zucchini, diced into small pieces
½ cup red onion, diced into small pieces
¼ cup distilled white vinegar (apple cider vinegar can be substituted)
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 ½ tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
2 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Let sit overnight to let flavors develop.
Makes 4-6 servings.
Tips & Serving Ideas
- We soak and cook dried chickpeas, but you can use canned chickpeas as well. Just rinse before using.
- For a southern inspired variation, substitute black eyed peas for the chickpeas.
- Feel free to use your favorite crisp veggies. Carrots, celery, radishes, seedless cucumbers, yellow and green peppers all work well in this recipe.
- For a little kick, add a pinch or two of red pepper flakes and 2 cloves of minced fresh garlic.
- Serve over salad greens and top with cherry tomatoes, feta cheese, and black olives for a delicious summer meal.
- This salad makes a great pita or wrap filling. Pair with any of the following: hummus, fresh tomatoes, cucumber slices, shredded carrots, romaine, spinach, feta cheese, sundried tomatoes, and black olives.
- As a side, this salad is great alongside grilled meat and vegetable skewers, roasted chicken, and sandwiches.
Holly Taylor, a mom of one in Raleigh, is an owner of Pullen Place Cafe & Catering, which focuses on serving fresh, local, seasonal fare in the heart of Raleigh's historic Pullen Park. The cafe, which also caters events, has a new menu that includes a kids menu and a wide variety of gluten free, vegetarian and vegan options. Over 60 percent of the menu is made with local ingredients and nearly everything is made from scratch at the cafe. It's open 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily through the summer. Pullen Park's rides are open 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Go Ask Mom features recipes every Friday. For more, check WRAL.com's recipe database.