I wrote about the Lucy Daniels Center's Bookmarked! 2012 reading festival for kids a few weeks ago. Now it's nearly here!
The event brings attention to the center's Lucy's Book Club, which is designed for babies to six-year-olds and their parents. The goal is to encourage parents to read to their kids by recommending books that approach important developmental themes in a safe and reassuring way. The center is the Triangle’s largest non-profit provider of mental health services for children.
The festival includes a book fair this weekend at Quail Ridge Books & Music. The store will donate 20 percent of the proceeds for any purchase made to benefit the Lucy Daniels Center.
The event also includes a variety of storytimes around Wake County, along with a visit from award-winning children's author Audrey Penn, author of "The Kissing Hand" and many more books. Public readings will feature local "celebrity heroes" such as a firefighter, chef and soldier.
Here's a schedule of some of the storytimes:
- 10 a.m., Saturday, Audrey Penn at Quail Ridge Books in Raleigh. Free.
- 10:30 a.m., May 1, WRAL-TV anchor Gerald Owens, at Storybook Forest, Marbles Kids Museum (free with museum admission)
- 10:30 a.m., May 3, City of Raleigh Deputy Fire Marshal Ronald Campbell at Barnes and Noble Booksellers at Brier Creek Commons. Free.
- 10:30 a.m., May 3, Cpt. Scott Matkosky and Cpt. Lorie Doby of the U.S. Army, at Barnes and Noble Booksellers at Crabtree Valley Mall. Free.
- 11 a.m., May 3, Pastry Chef Daniel Benjamin of The Umstead Hotel and Spa and Herons, at Cary Community Library. Free.
Bookmarked! wraps up on May 5 with a Family Fun Concert featuring the Sandbox band, Carolina Ballet's Elice McKinley, Theatre in the Park's Ira David Wood and Penn at Raleigh's North Hills.