Go Ask Mom

Go Ask Mom

Help a Mom: Seeking summer camp for teen with special needs

Posted January 24, 2012

I received an email this week from a parent of a teenage daughter with special needs.

Here's what they're looking for:

Our adoptive daughter is 15 and aged out of Raleigh camps. She is special needs, but went to regular track-out. Any suggestions? She needs summer camp for the months of June, July, and half of August. We prefer day camp.

Do you have any suggestions? Please share in the comments box below. (If you don't see the comments box below, you'll need to log in or sign up for a WRAL account. You can do that by going to the top of the page and clicking on either "log in" or "register").

Help a Mom features questions from readers every Wednesday. If you have a question that you'd like to ask Go Ask Mom readers, click here to email it to me.


Please with your account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all
  • Big Daddy Cain Jan 25, 2012

    I do not know but I would suggest asking your schools EC Teacher. He/She should certainly be knowledgeable on that topic. Good Luck :-)

  • shall6 Jan 25, 2012

    A Facebook fan mentioned Camp Easter Seals. A reader also sent me the details by email with a link:


  • collierkristy Jan 25, 2012

    Camp Carefree in Stokesdale, NC is absolutely wonderful. My daughter has epilepsy and hydrocephalus and has gone to Camp Carefree for years. A doctor and nurse are there 24/7 and the activities are geared toward children with special needs.

  • thinkb4speak Jan 25, 2012

    Horses for Hope in F-V has a spring theraputic riding program. Not sure what your daughter's special needs are, but you might want to check it out.

  • aacisme Jan 25, 2012

    Camp Friendly through Raleigh Parks and Rec is your best bet. You can check out the summer Leisure Ledger for the details of their programs.

    You can also try the Finley Y and see if they will work with you to place your daughter, as long as she is independent with personal care. They tend to be good with working in children and will also provide aides if needed.

  • outlawtaxi Jan 25, 2012

    Call Raleigh Parks and Rec Specialized Recreation Services; they have an inclusion program that can provide her assistance while in a regular program, and they do have teen camp for ages 11-17 and Camp Friendly for older persons with developmental disabilities. 807-5428 is the phone number for Inclusion.

  • JAT Jan 25, 2012

    and just call her your "daughter". Adding "adoptive" makes it seem like she's a second class citizen.

  • JAT Jan 25, 2012

    doesn't the Y have camps for kids like that?