Wake schools to hold information sessions about new assignment plan
Posted November 5, 2011
If you're trying to wrap your head around Wake County school's new choice student assignment plan, school officials are offering a series of information sessions starting Nov. 14.
The sessions are designed to walk parents through the process of selecting a school for the next school year. They will be offered throughout Wake County. School staff also would like to hear from local groups who are interested in inviting them to meetings or locations for similar sessions. If you're interested, contact the Office of Family and Public Engagement at 919-431-7800.
Here are the information sessions scheduled so far. More will be scheduled in the future.
- Mon., Nov. 14, 6:30 p.m. St. Mark's United Methodist Preschool, 4801 Six Forks Rd., Raleigh
- Thurs., Nov. 17, 6:30 p.m. Durant Road Elementary PTA, 9901 Durant Rd., Raleigh
- Thurs., Nov. 17, 6:30 p.m. Knightdale 100 (at the Knightdale Town Hall, 950 Steeple Square Ct.)
- Sun., Nov. 20, 3:30 p.m. St. Raphael Church, 5801 Falls of Neuse Rd., Raleigh (Spanish-only session)
- Tues., Dec. 13, 6:30 p.m. Harriet Webster Task Force for Student Success (at St. Matthew's Church, 1629 Bennett St., Raleigh)
Wake County's student assignment plan page has more information about the plan. Parents can also preview their children's school choices for the next school year.
Some basic information from Wake's website: If you are currently happy with your children's schools, they can stay where they are. The new choice plan primarily applies to rising kindergartners, new Wake County residents and people who want to change their current school.
Current students who will be moving from grade 5 to 6 or grade 8 to 9 in the 2012-13 school year will be pre-assigned to their feeder pattern middle or high school based on where they are currently enrolled. For feeder pattern information, go to Wake's student assignment page to preview your school choices.