We're continuing our series on gift ideas from local museum gift shops with suggestions from the N.C. Museum of History in downtown Raleigh.
When I was working full-time downtown, I'd always pop in the museum's gift shop during the holidays for a lunch break Christmas shopping excursion. Here you'll find some great gifts for kids, along with grandmas, grandpas, aunts, uncles and other adults.
Here are recommendations for kids from Lynn H. Brower, the museum's director of retail operations. Items are $2 and up.
- Tiddley Winks, jump rope, hopscotch and many more old-time games that moms, dads, and grandparents will remember from their own childhoods. All are made in the United States.
- All sizes of that old favorite, Raggedy Anne and Raggedy Andy, including Santa Andy and Mrs. Santa Anne.
- Ahoy Matey! Pirate gear! Pirate items include pirate gold to Pirate-Opoly to the book "A Pirates Night Before Christmas."
- Civil War and Revolutionary toys including pieces of eight (the Spanish dollar), toy soldiers, colonial games, colonial mob caps and bonnets, among many other items.
- Books galore for children, including "Santa's Coming to the Carolinas," which includes scenes from the Bell Tower at N.C. State, the Cape Hatteras lighthouse and other sites in North Carolina and South Carolina.
The shop is open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Saturday, and noon to 5 p.m., Sunday. Contact the shop at 919-807-7835 or e-mail NCMusHistoryShop@aol.com.