Museum gift shops are a treasure trove of great gift ideas and the shop at Morehead Planetarium and Science Center in Chapel Hill is no different.
I was reminded of this the other weekend when my older daughter and I headed over there for a concert featuring the Sandbox band playing holiday classic "under the stars" of the planetarium. It was a great time. I definitely recommend this concert series for next year. As we checked out the shop, my only wish was that she wasn't there so I could buy her some things!
Here are Morehead's picks for last-minute gifts:
- Space-themed playsets include rockets, lunar rovers, shuttlecraft and more — perfect for the child who wants to be an astronaut or a pilot one day. Cost: $8.50 and up
- Books, games and puzzles with science themes are ideal gifts for family members to share and enjoy together. Cost: $7 and up.
- Remember the mood rings of the 1970s? They've made a comeback as mood jewelry. (And if you've ever wondered about the science behind them, check out this blog post by Morehead Planetarium and Science Center marketing manager Karen Kornegay). Cost: $3.50 and up.
- Imagine wearing a glow-in-the-dark Einstein T-shirt or decorating a ceiling with glow-in-the-dark stars and planets. Cost: $6.50 and up.
- Brighten a bedroom at night with remote-controlled, light-up "Moon in My Room" and "Earth in My Room" models. (There's a "Solar System in My Room" model, too, which features a light-up Sun orbited by planets. Cost: $40 to $45.
Check Go Ask Mom's Holiday Central for more gift ideas, holiday recipes, crafts and more.