banner
WRAL SmartShopper

WRAL SmartShopper

Kitchen blunders: Share your mishaps!

Posted June 4, 2013

 

Have you ever forgotten to turn on the oven and wondered why dinner wasn't ready on time? Share your funny kitchen blunders here!

I said a funny thing about dinner to the kids recently which is what prompted me to post this thread.

I was getting dinner ready and they wanted to know what I was cooking. I responded: Angel Soft Pasta. They wanted to know why the pasta was made out of toilet paper....

Clearly I meant angel hair pasta, but that's not what came out. We had a good laugh.

I recall someone posting here on the blog last week that she forgot to turn on the slow cooker hours after putting the food into cook. Have you ever done that?

49 Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all
  • Faye Prosser - Smart Shopper Jun 5, 2013

    And you know this how, wildfrechrose???? lol

  • wildfrenchrose Jun 5, 2013

    *I* didn't do it...but you CAN set a wooden cutting board on fire in the microwave....

  • Faye Prosser - Smart Shopper Jun 4, 2013

    Oh my, askwiggy! Melting lead in the kitchen? That's a new one for me! I am sure the cat was not remotely amused.

    These stories are all so great! They are also helpful reminders to me of what not to do. So I thank you for that.

  • askwiggy Jun 4, 2013

    Hubby was melting lead in the kitchen for fishing weights. He made a homemade mold out of concrete and let it cure for 3 days. Well that wasn't long enough. When the lead hit the mold it flashed. It was all over the cabinet, the ceiling and the cat. Poor dear looked at me like "really". All his projects are now conducted out side!

  • watchhillgirl Jun 4, 2013

    Ok....my sides hurt and I have tears in my eyes!!!! These are some great stories!!!

  • cooper70 Jun 4, 2013

    The first time I used my kitchen aid mixer, I added the flour to the cookie batter and turned it on to medium speed. The flour flew everywhere. It looked like it had snowed in my kitchen. Of course, my 15 year old still remembers this incident vividly (it was about 8 years ago) and she loves to bring it up whenever she sees a connection. It's a lot more often than you can imagine!

  • jdouglas13 Jun 4, 2013

    I think I've mentioned a few times that my DW is not a cook at all and can barely boil water. Many of her mishaps involve fire. Whenever I have to travel, I'm not sure if I'll have a kitchen to come home to.

    Two big blunder stand out in my mind. Back when Corningware could be used on the stovetop, I was given a gift of fake Corningware. Not realizing the difference, I tried to brown a roast in it on top of the stove that I was making into pot roast. When the gas flame hit it, that casserole dish blew into a million pieces all over the kitchen. The roast ended up in the trash.

    The other was my first big catering job for 60 people. I was doing a buffet dinner for a friend with multiple entrees and sides, one of which was rice. The venue was a 3 story townhouse, each with its own kitchen. My friend's family lived in all three units, and I was using all 3 kitchens. My mistake was to try to cook the rice using only 2 pots. Let's just say we never did have rice that night. ;)

  • little blue 2 Jun 4, 2013

    My best stories are about other people. One year at Thanksgiving, my sister came to my house to help. She was mixing up the filling for the pumpkin pie. I'm not sure how she managed it, but instead of hitting the button to eject the beaters, she hit the 'turbo' button. The beaters were already out of the bowl. We had pumpkin pie filling on the cabinets, the window, the ceiling. I was finding it until Valentine's Day.

    One time my mother was making a pound cake to take somewhere. If I remember correctly, she was supposed to add 1 stick of butter, but she added a pound. It boiled over in the oven and caught fire. We had a wall oven, so it was easy to see the flames. She blamed Dad, for talking to her while she was trying to concentrate.

  • cltabor Jun 4, 2013

    My worst is probably setting a cutting board, like 2 inches thick, on fire. ALL of my stories involve me setting things on fire or burning myself on accident. I'm horrible at laundry too, forgetting to turn the machines on.

  • meredith88 Jun 4, 2013

    A couple months after we got married I guess my husband thought it was time for payback for setting the oven on fire. He decided to deep fry french fries for supper. They were delicious. Half way through supper our smoke detector went off and we didn't know why. When we got to the kitchen the smoke was so thick we couldn't see and were choking on it. The flames on the stove reached the ceiling. Apparently my husband hadn't turned the knob until it clicked so instead of the burner being Off it had been on Hi the whole time and the oil had boiled over. It took over 30 minutes to put the fire out; it came back to life 3 times. We used 50lbs of fire extinguisher. It's now been 2 years and we are finally in a position to be able to repair all the damage: new backsplash, hood vent, refinishing the cabinets, painting the walls, ceiling and trim because the black from smoke doesn't wash off. Needless to say, he has never once made fun of me for burning taco shells since then ;)

More...