Family

Schools will have to make up for 4 days of fun

Posted January 31

— At the Ramsey Street YMCA in Fayetteville Friday, kids were literally climbing the walls. That way of burning off excess energy was a welcome respite for some parents who were dealing with children on an unexpected mid-winter vacation. 

Cumberland County's 52,000 public school students have had four days off, the result of a snowstorm that dumped about 3 inches of snow on the area and the freezing temperatures that followed.

Y instructor Sharon Smith brought her son and grandson along to work with her Friday. 

"They might as well come to the YMCA and work out," she said. "We have lots of fun here, do lots of exercise, have a great time."

Not all parents were lucky enough to be able to take their children to a place like the "Y." Real estate agent Marva Moore had to schedule appointments around caring for and entertaining her son, Tyler.

"It's tough," Moore said. "Luckily, my other two went to school today. They go to private school."

School systems around the area were working on plans Friday to make up the missed time. In Cumberland County, the fact that students attend an extended-day schedule means they have hours in the bank. 

"I think we will probably lose some teacher work days," said school board member Michael Boose. "But I don't think that ultimately we're going to have to make up but a day or two."

In Wake County, make-up days were supposed to begin Saturday for year-round students, but the school district canceled the session because road conditions remained hazardous.

12 Comments

This story is closed for comments. Comments on WRAL.com news stories are accepted and moderated between the hours of 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Oldest First
View all
  • NoMoreOfThat Jan 31, 7:11 p.m.

    Wake County has easily the most inept group ever to be in charge of making decisions like this. On again, off again. Anyone with a half a brain could've seen this coming. Water is all over the roads. It's going to freeze. Buses will have issues in a handful of spots. Let's see, we'll do school a half day on Saturday. But if we call a delay they go only 2 hours. Not enough to count. Oh well, those kids in year round don't mind going Saturdays.

    Good luck getting any of them to show up. More tax dollars being squandered by an inept school system.

    If I could only stop laughing ...

  • sendusmessage Jan 31, 7:08 p.m.

    Wake County Schools are mismanaged. Because 10% of roads are a little icy, you cancel for the other 90%? Don't tell me you have to; in business we don't do stupid things like that.

  • Honesty first Jan 31, 5:57 p.m.

    NOw they have added at day at the end of school, June 11. That is stupid. Where were the days built in for snow.

  • I Love Global Warming Jan 31, 5:45 p.m.

    Schools need to cancel the remaining teacher work days and use those days as make up days.

  • terriersrfun Jan 31, 5:40 p.m.

    The make up day scheduled for tomorrow has been cancelled because Wake co. couldn't get their roads scraped even with help from other counties.

  • thewayitis Jan 31, 5:35 p.m.

    Are kids penalized for missing a make-up day?

  • HeadsUp Jan 31, 5:30 p.m.

    And this is why Wake schools should not have closed Tuesday, when the weather was fine. Bad call.

  • sunshine1040 Jan 31, 5:27 p.m.

    The roads were too bad to get them to school but they were fine to drive them to the YMCA in Fayetteville .

  • wildween Jan 31, 4:45 p.m.

    let the whining begin!!!

  • Obamacare prevails again Jan 31, 4:34 p.m.

    The article talks about missed school days because of the snow.But the picture shows a little... View More

    — Posted by mafiamic

    Thank you.

    — Posted by mafiamic

    Yes, thank you for posting mafiamic's extraordinary insight.

More...